Mercury Free Dentistry
Today, we know more than ever about how our overall physical health can be affected by substances placed in our bodies. It should be no different when it comes to dental care and that is why we take a holistic approach to dentistry by offering options that consider your total well-being. When it comes to the materials used for filling cavities, it is likely you have had a silver amalgam filling placed in your mouth.
At Lane Ends Dental Practice, we advocate mercury-free dentistry to reduce toxicity for everyone, especially the chemically sensitive. Mercury/amalgam use is avoided in our practice because of toxicity problems associated with mercury and low levels of mercury vapour released over time.
We feel that mercury amalgam is not only bad for your teeth but also for the human body in general. Our wellness initiative focuses on our patient’s optimum health; therefore, we are strong advocates of mercury free dentistry
Mercury Free Dental Controversy
There is much argument over the use of mercury-containing amalgam filling material for restorative dentistry techniques. Mercury is a known environmental and biologic toxin. As such, it must be treated as a hazardous material both before it goes into the mouth and after it is removed from the mouth. At Lane Ends Dental Practice we have been providing mercury free and mercury safe dentistry for more than a decade.
The use of mercury amalgam fillings no longer makes sense with the alternative options that exist. Dr. Kaviani and her cosmetic dental team use beautiful, healthy materials that do not pose a risk to the body and that completely hide the fact that cavities ever existed. Tooth-coloured composite resin fillings and porcelain onlays are very durable.
We address your dental issues with compassion ; It is our goal to keep our patients healthy through education and information on topics such as nutrition ,supplements ,healthy diet and the latest trends in green dentistry and eco-friendly dental materials. Lane Ends Dental Practice is the choice for health conscious men and women who want the very best dentistry for your health, your looks and your life.
What Other Countries are Doing to LIMIT MERCURY EXPOSURE!
- Japan regulates use of amalgam fillings.
- Sweden ,Denmark and Germany have already banned the use of mercury in dental amalgam fillings, citing health and environmental concerns.
- Amalgam use is illegal in Norway.
- A provisional agreement has been approved by the three governing institutions of the European Union (EU) to ban amalgam dental fillings for children less than fifteen years old as well as pregnant and nursing women.
- Austria has some restrictions of dental amalgam use.
Why Mercury Free Dentistry ?
LooK Good Feel Good Dentistry
We believe that Silver (metal) restorations are inferior, and that there is no point in performing a restoration with a material that looks nothing like natural teeth and will inhibit your smile. Other reasons for replacing your metal fillings are as follow;
- Patients with mercury allergies or immune system disorders may be especially sensitive to the presence of mercury.
- Silver fillings stand out and may cause you to be self-conscious about your smile.
- Metal expands and contracts with temperature changes, sometimes causing enamel to crack or fracture.
Modern techniques now involve sticking fillings to teeth using special dental adhesives. This technique is often called ‘adhesive’ or ‘sticky’ dentistry. The area is treated with a solution that roughens the surface of the tooth – much the same as using sandpaper ‘keys’ the wall ready for painting. The adhesive is applied and the filling is ‘bonded’ to the tooth.
Your oral and general health is our concern, so if you are concerned about amalgam or metal fillings, or if you have any further questions about dental fillings, please give our mercury free dentist a call today.